In 2013, Kellie Garrett was honoured with the Humanitarian of the Year award from the Canadian Red Cross Saskatchewan Chapter. This was due to her advocacy and voluntarism in many areas, including autism and Dress for Success (an organization that provides professional clothing and some training to disadvantaged women).
"I am passionate about harnessing the unique talents of everyone and ending racism and prejudice in all its forms - for indigenous peoples, visible minorities, those with disabilities and women in senior positions. Canada prides itself on being a progressive country, and in many ways we are. Yet we still have a long way to go in many respects.
"What kind of world would we have if every citizen gave back to the communities where they live and work, as well as further afield? Whether it’s money or time, most of us have something that we're passionate about. IIf we want to make the world a better place, we owe it to our children and the next generations to do something about it.”
About 20% of Garrett’s time is devoted to pro bono work: coaching, mentoring and speaking. She also offers a discount to not-for-profit organizations. Every year, Garrett volunteers her talents to a few individuals and organizations. If you’re interested in being considered for this, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that outlines what you need help with and why you deserve pro bono assistance.
- Speaking and mentoring
- Lay counselling to parents whose children receive autism diagnoses
Past volunteer work
- Board Chair, International Coach Federation (Saskatchewan Chapter)
- Board member, Autism Resource Centre (Regina)
- Board Chair, Women Entrepreneurs Saskatchewan (WESK)
- Canadian Business for Social Responsibility, Vice-Chair
- Dress for Success: presentations to clients and fundraising
- Globe Theatre, Board Director
- Hope’s Home (integrated facility for disabled children): Pro bono coach
- Hospitals of Regina Foundation, Board Chair
- Institute of Corporate Directors, Saskatchewan Chapter, Board of Directors
- MacKenzie Art Gallery, Board Director
- Regina Palliative Care Inc., Board Director